I’m always looking for affordable ways to spend time with my friends that don’t break the bank, but when it comes to making a decision I tend to freeze up. So to help you out, here are 9 budget-freiendly activities to enjoy with friends.
1. Video Gaming - Someone always has a game system laying around, so why not channel your inner nerd and take on your friends in a night of gaming? Extra points if you can track down a classic system – Mario Kart for N64 anyone?
2. Fitness class and a smoothie – Are you one of those fitness class addicts? Why not share your usual fitness routine with a like-minded friend and grab a smoothie afterwards (or whatever you fitness people are drinking these days). Just please don’t post about it on Facebook.
3. Board games night – I know, bored games, right? But with the right people, board games can actually become a riot. Like my new addiction, Cards Against Humanity, which is an adult-only spin on Apples to Apples. You can even print your own free set from their website!
4. Grab coffee or ice cream – This is a classic for a reason. There’s a marginal upfront cost, but it’s nice to just sit back and enjoy a treat while catching up with a friend.
5. Cheap gallery/ museum hours – Typically discounted tickets are offered during off-peak hours at major attractions. Check out your local gallery or museum website, or services like Groupons, for great deals.
6. Knitting/crocheting (stitch ‘n bitch) – With the rising popularity of Pinterest comes a new appreciation for all things crafty. If you’ve been wanting to learn to knit or crochet, now is the time. Grab some girls (or guys) and try your hand at a new project. The great thing about handicrafting is that you have plenty of time to catch up on all the latest news, enjoy a hot cup of tea, and come away with something handmade.
7. Karaoke or pub quiz night - If you can avoid a high bar tab, than pub quizzes are a great night out with the potential to win some great prizes. Stop in for a few hours, but avoid the expensive late-night bar scene to stay on budget.
8. Movie night at home (or cheap ticket night) – Netflix anyone? Why spend money on expensive movie tickets when you can enjoy movies for super cheap at home?
9. Photo tour of your city – Are you a photographer at heart? Why not take to the streets of your city or town and really get to know the landmarks? There’s just a thrill to discovering new information, from plaques honoring town heros, to the historical significance of those buildings that you walk by every day.
What are your favourite budget-friendly activities to share with friends?