Three of my close friends got engaged within a few weeks of each other. Boom, boom, boom. One is now married, one is getting married next week, and one is getting married…tomorrow. I know. It’s a happy time for all, I know this. I’m happy she’s found the One. But I can’t help but look back on all the wonderful times together and be sad. Because it will never be like it once was. She will move on and away, and I will be here. In my room, listening to The Notebook soundtrack, and wondering where I am.
It’s exciting, and I’m happy for her. She’s so excited to start her new life. And it’s normal to wonder where you’re going, when she has a whole new world in front of her, and your life is the same.
I might be too close to this situation to really write about it clearly. But if anyone else out there is in the same boat as I am, I thought I would jot a few ideas to help keep sane.
1. Indulge in nostalgia. It’s ok to miss your friend. It’s ok to be sad, even though everyone is happy. Just not in front of the bride.
2. Tell her you love and support her. Let her know how much you loved her, but don’t bring her down. Her big day is stressful enough.
3. The night before, indulge in some ice cream. Preferably chocolate. While watching When Harry Met Sally.
4. Cry. Before, during, and after the wedding. It’s ok to cry. Real girls cry.
5. Get there early, and dance the whole night.
6. Don’t get drunk.
7. Rule 6 amended slightly: Don’t get too drunk.
8. Screw it. Drink as much as you want.
9. Do Not make her day about you. Every other day can be about you, but not today.
10. Spanx and a beautiful dress.
11. Wear flats. I know those sexy high heeled shoes seem like a good idea at the time, but they’re not. Really.
12. Remind yourself you are not a failure for not being married at 22. It’s ok to be single for a while.